Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Chapter Twelve

Deborah sat and listened to her parents quarrelling after dinner.

ـِـ Do you know what, her father asked. I've finished the divorce papers you were filing. I can't appreciate you having to be here all the time!

ـِـ It all comes down to me, huh?! And now I have to go after managing your house hold for two decades.

He was silent for a while. Then he answered:
ـِـ I appreciate you having taken that into you that it's almost helping me out. But it's worse than you're admitting! It's less than twenty of the full twenty-four years we've been married.

ـِـ Stop that, his wife retorted. You know as well as I that there was laundry and dishes and stuff even during the first four years.

He looked at her, now slowly pondering on if he should keep scolding her back or try to do something else in order to insinuate that she would be better of without the young men she wanted.
ـِـ Charlie, he said at last, you don't know what you're into. When you're fucking those young men and scolding me for after all being, and for having been your husband.

She giggled.
ـِـ How come you don't think so?!

Now he looked at her with new eyes. The room was silent for almost a minute.
ـِـ Because I feel there's not any notion of sense to seeing in them the caretaker of the home you've been living in!

She looked at him with a very scornful glimpse, and shrieked:
ـِـ Ha!
She was still looking the same way at him when saying:
ـِـ I don't ever see you doing the laundry here do I!?

Now Deborah broke in and said:
ـِـ So what? Mom, you haven't ever tried to let him do it! At least I don't think that you have.

Charlie looked chocked now. After a while she began sobbing. Deborah's eyes wondered between her and him.

No one said anything. After ten minutes, Richard said:
ـِـ I don't know if there can be room for us to sleep in the same bedroom anymore. ...

His wife looked at him.
ـِـ No, I don't suppose there can be after all of this!

While they were talking someone turned the key to the outside door. Deborah went up to greet her brother. But he wasn't responsive at all for her greetings now.

ـِـWhat's the matter, she asked.

ـِـ What have you been saying to me, he asked back.
ـِـ Nothing you didn't know!

He looked at her sternly.
ـِـ I just found out that you've been talking to all the girls in school that I appreciated being the idol that was to be adored by my little sister, whom I supposedly tried to fool into thinking I was a role model!

ـِـ But I have said that to you as well!

He examined her.
ـِـ Sort of, he said at last. But I haven't been told how they would appreciate that as a comment on my business, which can be sort of ruined because of you!

ـِـ No it can't!

ـِـ What do you mean by that?!

ـِـ I mean that it's not to be seen as a comment on the business you're doing!

ـِـ What do you mean?!

ـِـ How can you ask that?

He stared at her. At last he answered:
ـِـ I ask that because I don't have anything that says to me that there's no business in the women that want my art.

Richard broke in with:
ـِـ I don't think it's really worth it to ignore them, Deborah! At the same time I think you're right in that they're not the important part of it!

ـِـ They are the important part of my business! They are the most appreciative, up until now at least, of my customers!

ـِـ They are?!
Richard sounded very surprised.

ـِـ Yes, dad! Yes, they are!

ـِـ They are?!
His mother sounded almost as surprised as his dad.

ـِـ They are, mom, he assured her.

ـِـ Then how come, his mother asked, you don't feel like telling us about them. ...

ـِـ It never occurred to me to talk about them, he answered.

ـِـ Then do now, both his parents retorted at once.


ـِـ No, I don't want to talk about it, he said, and left for his room.

No comments:

Post a Comment