Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Chapter Twenty-Three

At dinner that night David was scolding Deborah:
ـِـ Do you think you're cunning now that you've got me under the belt by spreading all these rumours about me?!

She stuttered a little when saying:
ـِـ B-but David, I asked them to take it back!

ـِـ How can you say that when there was a lady just today just laughing at me and saying the most outrageous things about my so called sex life, such as that you and I were having sex?! ... By the way she also said that mom was there to excuse this nonsense!
The last sentence he had said looking at their dad, who looked back at him, but and said:
ـِـ I didn't think that of her! At least not until now!

David looked indignant and retorted that:
ـِـ We haven't been into such stuff! Neither I nor my mother!

Deborah looked at her brother and father. At first still figuring that it was best to shut up. But after a short while she decided to speak her mind:
ـِـ It's not about that I have spoken! The thing is that I told someone that you are a playboy who doesn't want to admit that he is one! Not about mother! Nor was it about that incest stuff, which I actually also loath them for!

David looked relieved. But he felt reluctant about letting her go.
ـِـ Why, he asked, have you been telling someone that I've been a playboy at all?

ـِـ Because you are!

He looked at her rather sternly.
ـِـ No! I am not!

ـِـ Yes you are too!

He moved his stare obliquely half downwards half out to the wall to the left of her, and sighed. For a while he said nothing.

ـِـ Why do you keep on bugging me, he asked at last.

ـِـ What do you mean by that?!

Still staring he answered:
ـِـ That you don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about!

Chocked by all this, their father was following their conversation. He stayed silent, though, glancing from one of them to another as they exchanged their lines. Now he sighed, quite deeply, and they both turned their heads to him. They began speaking at once, both asking if he didn't agree, with him and her, respectively.

He sighed again.
ـِـ I don't know what to make of this, he said at last. But for now I want you both to start being quiet! I have work to do tomorrow, and I want to keep my mind clear about it!

They both obeyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment